Karonese Language Shift of Young Generation

Tita . Nurmaliya, Siti Aisyah Ginting, Anna Riana Suryanti Tambunan

Abstract


This study deals with Karonese Language Shift of Young Generation. It employs qualitative research design with a case study. This study aims to describe: the reasons for Karonese shift into Indonesian language. The subjects were 20 young generations of Karonese, 10 young generations of intramarriage family and 10 young generations of intermarriage family. They were chosen from 10 young generations whose parents are Karonese father and mother and 10 young generations whose parents are Karonese father and Non Karonese mother. The ages range of the subjects were between 13-17 years old. The instruments used for this study were questionnaire and interview. The interview was used to obtain the reasons of language shift. The data were analyzed by Miles, Hubberman and Saldana’s data analysis. There are two reasons of Karonese young generations use Indonesian language, the first is status of Indonesian language, there are (20%) of young generations from intramarriage family answer this reason and the rest of (80%) use Indonesian language because of social success. There are (50 %) of Karonese young generations from intermarriage family use Indonesian language because of the status of the language. The rest (50%) of the young generations use Indonesian language because of social success.

 


Keywords


Language Shift, Young Generation, Karonese

Full Text:

PDF

References


Arikunto, S. 2010. Prosedur Penelitian Suatu Pendekatan Praktik. Jakarta: Rineka Cipta.

Bogdan, R.C and S.K. Biklen. 1992. Qualitative Research for Education; An Introduction to Theory and Method. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.

Crystal, D. (Ed.). 1997. English as a Global Language (2nd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Edwards, J.1985. Language,Society and Identity. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.

Fasold, R. 1984. The Sociology of Language. Massachuesetts: Newbury House Publication

Fishman, J.A.1991. Reversing Language Shift. Clevedon Avon: Multilingual Matters

Holmes, J. 2013. An IntroductiontTo Sociolinguistics. USA: Routledge

Nazir,M. 2003. Metode Penelitian. Jakarta: Ghalia.

Romaine,S. 1994. Language in Society: An Introduction To Sociolinguistics. New York: Oxford University Press.

Weinrich, U. 1968. Languages in Contact : Finding and Problem. The Haugen: Mouton.




DOI: https://doi.org/10.24114/lt.v19i1.34330

Article Metrics

Abstract view : 30 times
PDF - 19 times

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2022 Tita . Nurmaliya, Siti Aisyah Ginting, Anna Riana Suryanti Tambunan